Baked Parmesan Crusted Chicken Breasts
Chicken breasts...What to do with them? We avoid them sometimes because they are the most dry to eat. It's such a lean meat, so we have to somehow bread it, cover it in sauce, or grill it to keep it juicy.
Yes, I still meal prep and I am always trying to think of different ways to prepare protein that's nutritional, low carb, and versatile. That way I can mix it up with other sides and sauces if I wanted to. This recipe is super easy to make and you'll actually enjoy it, even if you have to have it a couple days in a row! Lol. That's the whole point right?! Meal prepping so you can easily reheat with vegetables and a starch.
Put it in a sandwich, wrap, pesto spaghetti squash (like me), brown rice pasta with marinara (also me), white rice (like my husband). You name it! If you choose to fry it, you totally can! Make sure to fry at least 2-3 minutes each side. It cooks super fast!
Baked Parmesan Crusted Chicken Breast
4 skinless and boneless chicken breasts
1 ½ cup Italian breadcrumbs
1 ¼ cup grated parmesan
½ tsp smoked paprika
1 ½ tsp garlic seasoning salt
½ tsp fresh cracked pepper
½ tsp kosher salt
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit and set the rack to the middle top. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Pat and dry each chicken breast, then slice each in half. *Place flat side down, place one hand flat on top of a chicken breast and holding your knife parallel to the cutting board, slice it horizontally from the thick end to the thin end. You’ll end up with 8 chicken breasts.
3. Pound out each chicken breast with a meat tenderizer, this is so you even out the thickness of the chicken and for even cooking. Season the chicken with a pinch of salt and pepper on both sides.
4. To prepare dredging station: whisk the 2 eggs and a dash of water plus a pinch of salt and pepper in a semi flat bowl. In another flat wide bowl or small baking sheet combine the italian breadcrumbs, grated parmesan, garlic seasoning salt, paprika, salt and pepper.
5. Take one chicken, dip and coat egg wash on both sides, then place the chicken in the dry mixture and pat on both sides so all sides are coated. After, place on the baking sheet. * Keep in mind, you will use another baking sheet to avoid overcrowding. Drizzle with olive oil. Bake for 13-15 minutes.
6. Garnish with lemon wedges and fresh grated parmesan.
Note: You can cut a slice and taste for flavor. If it needs it, Add a pinch of salt right on top once they come out of the oven.
If you want to fry?
You can shallow fry the chicken. Fill a large skillet about a quarter full of canola oil or vegetable oil. Heat on medium, once the oil is hot. Fry for 2-3 minutes on each side.