BBQ Tofu with Caramelized Onions
The times that I feel like I've had too much meat after so many consecutive days, I usually crave a meatless meal. Tofu is just as good and when you pair it with a delicious, sweet and spicy sauce. It is completely satisfying! You don't even miss the meat.
Have this with a side of roasted potatoes, grilled vegetables, cole slaw, or quinoa!
BBQ Tofu with Sauteed Onions
Yield: 6 servings
2 packages 14 oz extra firm tofu
Half purple onion, sliced
¼ cup bbq sauce (any store bought works)
3 tbsp pineapple juice
1 tbsp sriracha
½ tsp apple cider vinegar
2 garlic cloves, minced
1. Drain and pat dry the tofu. Dice the tofu into medium size cubes.
2. In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the bbq sauce, pineapple juice, apple cider vinegar, garlic, sriracha, and add a pinch of salt and pepper. Set aside.
3. In a large skillet, preheat to medium high and drizzle a good amount of olive oil into the pan.
4. Add ⅓ of the cubed tofu into the pan, season with salt and pepper and cook until golden brown on all sides. About 5-7 minutes of occasional stirring. Remove from the pan once done and place on a serving plate. Repeat in two more batches.
5. Drizzle oil into the pan, add the onion, cook for about 5 minutes until soft and caramelized. Season with a pinch of salt.
6. Add the tofu and bbq sauce, stir until the tofu is coated with the bbq sauce. Serve with quinoa, coleslaw, grilled vegetables, white rice, or roasted potatoes.